Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Natural Vegan Skincare with Coconut Oil and Essential Oils

Hi everyone! This is totally just a post about what I plan on buying in the future, because I have some non-vegan (no animal testing though) cosmetics I am finishing up. I have tried some of these products and others I have not but they seem so promising!



I'll start this off with a skincare regimen, daily, at night and in the morning. I already use coconut oil on my face and a couple drops of tea tree oil, the combination is REALLY good for acne and redness. It makes my skin so soft.

If you have never tried coconut oil, you might be thinking something like "Oh god why would I lather oil all over my face, gross" Well I thought the same thing before I used it. I've also put OTHER oils on my face, like olive oil and hemp oil, with not so great results. The olive oil didn't seem to absorb well and the hemp oil caused me to break out! I love eating both of those extremely healthy oils, but I won't put them on my face again, haha.
Coconut oil on the other hand absorbs into the skin, i've actually read it's one of the only oils the skin will totally absorb, but don't quote me on that. I put it on in the night after I wash my face, just a few drops on a cotton round or on my fingers. In the morning my skin is less red/pink, soft and smooth, and I don't get acne. The coconut oil doesn't break me out, it doesn't make preexisting pimples worse, if anything it makes them better. I love it! Don't be scared, give it a try. 
I also use tea tree oil as a spot treatment, just dab a little on zits or mix it all in with the coconut oil.

My pores are pretty visible unfortunately. I don't have overly dry or overly oily skin. It's somewhere in the middle, but I get blackheads and my pores look, not necessarily HUGE, but rather visible, especially with some face makeups exaggerating them. I also have a LOT of dark spots/acne scars! Which is one of the main reasons I do wear face makeup in the first place. 


From what I've read on various websites, lemongrass essential oil is good for both large pores AND blackheads (and as a skin toner, woohoo).

As for acne scars, I've read a lot about frankincense oil and lavender oil working great as a spot treatment (dab it directly on scars with a q-tip).

So I plan on making a little mix in a jar (baby food jar probably) of coconut oil, lemongrass and a little lavender oil perhaps. And I'll use frankincense oil as a spot treatment nightly for scars. The tea tree oil can be on standby! I'll keep everyone updated when I do it.

THIS is a really good informative web page that talks about different essential oils for different skin problems including acne, rosacea, psoriasis, and other things, check it out!

I want to note that you should always do a spot test somewhere on your body when using essential oils as some are VERY powerful and can cause harmful effects (that time I tried to use undiluted cinnamon oil as a perfume on my wrists and it started burning and stinging). So as a general rule mix your oil with a carrier oil (like coconut or jojoba) and research which oils are okay to use undiluted (i have no problem using tea tree pure). Also you should only apply them at night because some can cause bad reactions in the sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment